Friday, November 5, 2010

Summer in November

What to cook when it's 96 degrees in November?? Yesterday I was driving home from a work trip in LA in my cool air conditioned car brainstorming the great dinner I wanted to make when I got home. It involved sausage, pasta and homemade sauce deliciousness! As I ran my plan by Chris he said "you realize it's about a hundred degrees in our house right now?" ... all thoughts of winter comfort food were out the window. 
So- I did the next easiest thing- www.samthecookingguy.com on my blackberry and a trip to Whole Foods.  It's an unbeatable combination.
I went for the Tuna Mango Tacos-and here is the VERY simple and healthy recipe.
  • 1 ripe mango, diced small
  • 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 fresh lime, squeezed
  • 3/4 pound yellow fin tuna, uncooked and diced medium (I substituted albacore because they didn't have yellow fin tuna)
  • 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I used a spicy fish blackening seasoning we brought back from Charleston)
  • corn tortillas
  • 1 tablespoon oil 
  • (my addition) half of a diced ripe avocado- added to the mango salsa topping.
  • (my addition) 2 tbs of salsa added to the mango. 
Mix first 4 Ingredients and set aside
Heat oil to almost high
In medium pan and add tuna
Saute quickly & when almost done stir in seasoning
Put in a warmed tortilla and add mango salsa
That's all - ok, so it wouldn't kill you to add a little extra squeeze of fresh lime
It was so good! And I paired it with two fun sides from Whole Foods (their deli counter is a trap for me!) I got a cucumber greek salad and a grilled veggie cous cous, both of which we ate cold.  Served with a glass of chilled white wine and an episode of Modern Family...  it was heaven after a long hot day. 
Happy Weekend!
XO
Chel
PS- Sam the Cooking Guy is a GREAT local cook who offers the simplest recipes.  Every one I've tried has been delicious (Kate's Mom's Salmon is a favorite) and never excessive ingredient lists. I highly recommend checking them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment