Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Baby it's Cold Outside!

I don't know about you all- but rainy days seem to make me want to eat popcorn & hot chocolate and camp out on the couch in front of the TV. Which is exactly what I did last night, although my vices were actually pasta & wine!  Thank GOD I live in San Diego where it rains about 5 days a year or I'd be in big trouble...

So for some comfort food to keep us warm (but not fat) while it's raining outside I searched for recipes to help us take cold weather favorites and turn them into healthy, or healthier choices. Click on the links below to check out the recipes.
Mac & Cheese Recipe  (Really low cal version)
BACON Mac & Cheese Recipe: (Bacon. Duh)
Chili Recipe (Great to feed a group)
Loaded Mashed Potatoes: (Super Easy!)
Grilled Turkey & Ham Sandwich Recipe (So good with tomato soup!)

Really anything warm seems delicious when it's raining or cold. Soup is always a great option- filling and low calorie, but if you're going store bought, be sure to check the label. A good can of soup should have the following:
  • 250 calories (or less) per serving, to keep your diet in check.
  • 3 grams of fat (or less) per serving, to protect your heart.
  • 3 grams of fiber (or more) per serving, for filling power.
  • 600 mg of sodium (or less) per serving, to help keep blood pressure in check.
I'm really looking forward to heading to Vegas Thursday for a fun Girls weekend! There will likely be nothing healthy about what we're eating or drinking. I'm not even bringing workout clothes- because let's be honest, they'd be taking up valuable room in my suitcase!  This is part of what I consider balance- the freedom to have fun and leave the healthy eating at home for a few days.  But I'm sure you can expect a "Fresh Start/Getting Back on the Wagon" blog from me next Monday :)
Stay dry & warm out there!
XO
Chel
P.S. Julia & Brooke- the title of the blog today is in your honor.  Can't wait for your encore performance this weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment