Friday, January 29, 2010

My Grocery List (and savings!)

Yesterday was quite a day! It started with being woken up by a phone call from my boss, I left my keys at Bed Bath & Beyond, ran out of gas on the way to Bar Method (in my defense the gas light was not even on!) and had the HARDEST most painful run of my entire life (thanks Vegas), set off the smoke detector cooking dinner, I could really go on and on. Crazy! Thankfully today is off to a much better start.
I thought I'd dissect my grocery list from Trader Joes.  I went on a major shopping trip and got all the basics- so here it goes:
Breakfast:
  • Fat Free Milk
  • Puffins Cereal (peanut butter is SO good, like dessert!)
  • Go Lean Crunch (great mixed in greek yogurt!)
  • TJs Blueberry Waffles
  • Zen Fiber Apple Cranberry Muffins
Snacks:
  • Greek yogurts multiple flavors
  • Savory Thins Rice Crackers
  • Light String Cheese
  • Hummus Dip
  • Laughing Cow Lite Cheese Wedges
Staples for cooking/salad etc
  • Baby Spinach Mix
  • Lettuce Mix
  • Broccoli
  • Cinnamon Raisin Ezekial Bread
  • Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
  • Egg Whites
  • Bananas
  • Asparagus
  • Chicken broth
  • Onions
  • Green Onions
  • Frozen Berry medley (great for use in smoothies, or heated over ice cream or waffles, YUM)
 Dinner- mains & sides
  • Chicken Chow Mein Stir Fry Mix ( I love to keep this in the freezer for a QUICK dinner, it's also low cal- and only $3.69!)
  • Mushroom risotto
  • TJ organic creamy tomato soup
  • Salmon w/Citrus Butter (we made it without the citrus butter- just a little soy sauce & lemon juice marinade)
  • PreMade Stuffed Bell Peppers
  • Scalloped Potatoes (ok I know they're not "good" for you- but if you portion it right you can still enjoy!)
Dessert
  • Raspberry Vanilla Ice Cream bars (tiny but only 80 cals!)
And all of that cost under $100 (fine- $97.85 :) I really believe that Trader Joes is less expensive than a regular grocery store.  The most expensive item I bought was the salmon for $8, but it served both of us (and was delicious). Last night for dinner we had the salmon, asparagus, & scalloped potatoes for dinner.  Total cost for all items: $15.28 (and we have leftover potatoes & asparagus). Per person, about $7. To eat a meal like that out in a restaurant we'd probably be looking at $15-20 a person, plus tip & drinks, so it's not only healthier to eat at home, it's less expensive.
Even cheaper- Wednesday we had stuffed peppers and salad.  Total cost: $8.58!  Only $4.29 a person.  And it was equally satisfying (and impressive) of a meal. I told Chris last night that I remembered being in college wondering HOW people could cook 5-7 nights a week? (I was living off Rubio's, Jack In the Box,  & a few Lean Cusines thrown in there at the time) It seemed so crazy to me and now I'm doing it. Funny how things change.  Does that make me a grown up?? :)
Happy Friday! Have a fun & healthy weekend!
XO
Chel
PS- Thanks Nat for my Trader Joes cookbook, I totally took it with me and used it! I'll post pictures when I create a recipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment