Monday, May 17, 2010

Modified Cooking- Enchilada Time!

I made delicious and healthy enchiladas for dinner last night by taking a highly rated recipe and altering some of the ingredients to make it more diet friendly.  The results were great!
Creamy Beef Enchiladas Let's call them Healthy Turkey Enchiladas That Still Taste Good :)
Keep in mind as I talk calories that this is for the ENTIRE DISH (6 large servings) not per serving.
1 lb ground beef I switched this for ground turkey. Turkey has 670 calories per lb compared to 800 in 90% lean ground beef.  Calories saved= 130.
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic Salt
1 cup salsa
1 cup sour cream I substituted nonfat greek yogurt. Regular sour cream has 495 calories a cup, greek yogurt only has 90! Calories saved= 405
1 small can sliced black olives
6 flour tortillas I substituted whole wheat tortillas for flour. Flour tortilla has 170 and the whole wheat I found was 140.  Since there are 6 in this recipe, calories saved= 180.
1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese I substituted "light" Mexican blend cheese for the regular and couldn't even taste a difference. 2 cups regular Mexican cheese= 880 calories.  2 cups light cheese=600 calories.  Calories saved=280.
Directions: Brown ground beef with chopped onion in a medium pan over medium/high heat. While browning add cumin and garlic salt. Once cooked through and no longer pink, remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled stir in salsa, sour cream and half of the olives. Pour a little enchilada sauce in a 9x12" baking pan (about a half cup). Fill tortillas with the mixture and place seam side down in pan. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with remaining olives and then top with cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

So- overall with the modifications, I was able to save 995 calories off the recipe and I didn't sacrifice good flavor! Each enchilada has 420 calories and they were huge, cheesy and delicious! Next time to get it even lower I'd use 1 cup cheese instead of 2 on top and try low carb tortillas.  I could save another 600 calories, which would make each one only 320 instead!
Dreading bootcamp tonight because it's cold outside (ok San Diego cold- overcast and 65 degrees-I'll stop complaining now).
Enjoy!
XO
Chel

No comments:

Post a Comment